How to make a delicious Dalgona coffee?
Dalgona coffee is a whipped coffee drink that is popular on social media. It is made by whipping instant coffee powder, sugar and hot water until fluffy, then spooning it over milk. Basically, it is very simple to make a Dalgona coffee at home without any electrical mixer. In this article, we will show you how to your own Dalgona coffee at home.
Original of Dalgona coffee
Dalgona coffee is a beverage originating from Macau. It was founded in the 1990s by former shipbuilder Leong Kam Hon after a labour accident left him with a near-amputation of his arm. The drink did not yield much interest to him until 2004 when he took on the idea to serve it as a specialty to Chow Yun-fat and his entourage who visited the Hon Kee café that year.
It was popularized on social media during the COVID-19 pandemic, when people refraining from going out started making videos of whipping the coffee at home, by hand without using electrical mixers. After the drink spread to South Korea, it was renamed “dalgona coffee” which is derived from dalgona, a Korean sugar candy, due to the resemblance in taste and appearance, though most dalgona coffee does not actually contain dalgona.
Recipe of Dalgona coffee
Below is the simple ingredients to make a perfect Dalgona coffee, no need electrical mixer:
How to make Dalgona coffee
- Use a glass to make a mixture of coffee powder, sugar and hot water
- Using a hand mixer or whisk, beat the mixture until it becomes thick and creamy with stiff peaks. This step might take a few minutes
- Use another glass and fill it with ice cube as your convenience
- Slowly pour cold milk in this glass and and spoon the whipped coffee mixture on top.
Now you can serve yourself a Dalgona coffee easily, enjoy!
What is the difference of beaten coffee and Dalgona coffee?
Made popular by South Korean actor Jung-Ji Woo, it went viral recently on social media portal. The only difference is that the beaten coffee is made with hot milk while the Dalgona coffee is made with cold milk. Both are very good tatse and popular in Southeast Asia
Some tips to have more delicious Dalgona coffee
- Choose the high-quality coffee powder, the richness will decide the colour of your coffee
- Depending on your favorite sweet flavor, you can add more sugar or condensed milk
- It might take amount of time to make Dalgona, so do’nt give up to early